Friday, July 18, 2008

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!

www.drhorrible.com

This is just about the best thing ever. I've fallen a bit behind with my posts, since there's been a lot going on at work the past few days and I've been spending my free time watching and re-watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (I can now actually sing along).

I already adore Joss Whedon because of Firefly. I never really followed Buffy, just watching assorted episodes here and there, but I have seen the musical episode, Once More with Feeling, multiple times. I am a big fan of musicals. No, it's not realistic; people do not burst into song and choreographed dancing in daily life. But they should. That Buffy episode is just brilliant. So I was thrilled to learn that he was doing another musical-y thing. I was also thrilled that Nathan Fillion, whom I also love because of Firefly, was going to be involved.

The notable development is my awe at Neil Patrick Harris. I suppose he was perfect for the role--not only has he famously played a doctor (though with an MD, not a PhD in horribleness), he also starred in the original Broadway cast of Sondheim's Assassins. That's a big deal. So is his role as the emcee in Cabaret. But I never saw him in these musicals. He's delightful on How I Met Your Mother. But I was not able to truly appreciate his talents until seeing him as Dr. Horrible.

If you haven't yet, watch it. The third act will be available tomorrow. And then they'll go away (but not forever). So tell your friends. And watch it again. And sing along.

> Update 8/11/08: I should probably mention that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog can now be found on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog

Some of my favorite bits:

...Smells like cumin.

With my freezray I will stop.. the world.

-I kinda thought I was supposed to end up with Bait, but...
-I hear ya.
I saw Penny today.
-You talk to her?
-So close. I'm just a few weeks away from a real, audible connection.

So make the Bad Horse gleeful, or he'll make you his mare...

[The entire Billy/Penny conversation about signing the petition]

It's curtains for you, Dr. Horrible. Lacy, gently wafting curtains.

-And sometimes there's a third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top surface one.
-Huh?
-Like with pie.

-I want to be an achiever. Like Bad Horse.
-The Thoroughbred of Sin?
-I meant Gandhi.

Apparently the only signature he needed was my fist. But... with a pen in it, that I was... signing with.

And these are not the hammer... [you know the rest]

She may cry but her tears will dry when I hand her the keys to a shiny new Australia.

No comments: