Thursday, March 12, 2009

First day of my UH visit

Today I visited the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus. It, like most of Hawaii, is gorgeous. We were greeted by I think the dean of the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, whose name is Sandy Shor (pronounced "shore"). Seriously. It's one of those names you joke about but don't actually think anyone is really named. I hope he studies coastal ocean or maybe sediment erosion at ocean-land boundaries.

I really like the campus. The place I've been working is out in the country, a tiny speck of academia in a sea of rednecks. Well, it's not that bad, but walking around here, I realize how much I miss people. And the people in the department seem really nice and interesting. And of course it seems like a nice place to live.

The only real turnoff I encountered today was another one of the prospective students. Maybe I'll talk about it later; it's not nice to judge (though it can be fun), so I'll hold off for now. But for the most part, I loved my visit to the campus today. We went to a seminar where the professor talked about the P (phosphorus) cycle (and why it is appropriate to call it the "pee" cycle--look up how the element was discovered in the 17th century) and hypothesized about diatom orgies. Fun. We have a second campus visit tomorrow. Now I should go to bed. It's 5:40 AM East Coast time.

No comments: