Friday, January 22, 2010

Golden Globes, Spidey director, and a Push TV show

So Avatar won big at the Golden Globes, taking both Best Motion Picture - Drama and Best Director - Motion Picture for James Cameron (who even spoke a bit of Na'vi in his acceptance speech). I was pretty surprised by Avatar's win, but then again, the Golden Globes are sort of a funny award, voted on by something like 86 people, compared to the thousands who vote on Academy Awards and the PGA, DGA, and SAG awards. The Oscars are more likely to follow the various Guild awards than the Golden Globes. On the TV front, Glee was triumphant as the Best TV Show - Musical or Comedy (it is both, after all). It deserved it, and seeing all those cast members on stage made me so happy. If only they'd let them sing themselves off the stage.

In a previous post I reported that the fourth Spider-Man installment with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire had been scrapped and instead a high-school Spider-Man reboot would be made. Now Marc Webb has signed on to direct the reboot (Variety). Webb most recently directed (500) Days of Summer. Not exactly the type of movie I'd watch and say "Wow, this guy should direct Spider-Man!" But that doesn't mean he can't. Maybe he'll make it great, and soon we'll be saying "Tobey who?"

My last little bit of news is that Summit Entertainment, is planning on developing a Push TV show (Variety). One of my earliest posts on this blog (makes me so nostalgic thinking back *sniff*) was about the sci-fi movie Push (not to be confused with a certain movie based on the novel Push by Sapphire). I had read the script a couple years before the movie came out in the theaters, which had the movie geek in me all excited (an inside scoop! or something). They cast Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning, and Djimon Hounsou in lead roles--all good choices. The movie wasn't as good as it could have been, but I still enjoyed it. And now they're trying to make it into a TV series. David Hayter, who scripted Watchmen (also not as good as it could have been), is writing the series, which is kind of promising. I wouldn't expect much of the movie caliber cast to return for the TV series if it gets made, though. I am skeptical about the quality of a possible Push TV show, but I am excited at the prospect of the franchise continuing. We'll see how it plays out.

No comments: