Friday, January 8, 2010

Need to cool down...

Forget the sweet smells of yestreen. Nights are relatively cool, and thus tolerable. Now it is afternoon, it is hot (80 F/27 C outside, though who knows what it is in my living room), and I am longing for a little chill. Maybe sharing my New Year's photos will help cool me down...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I spent New Year's at a cabin up on a mountain in Vermont with 23 relatives and close friends. It's a family tradition; we've only missed a few years since the cabin was built (which was maybe 12-15 years ago). The cabin belongs to my uncle, though the plot of land it is built on was bought by my grandfather and thus belongs to my dad and all his siblings. It is very nice, particularly if you like hiking or cross country skiing, depending on the season. From the cabin on a clear day you can see both up to the peak of the mountain and down to Lake Champlain with New York state on the far side. Seeing as it was snowing most of the time we were up there, we couldn't see those things. In years past, we've been able to see the Burlington fireworks show in the distance. Not this time, unfortunately.

This first photo isn't mine, but I actually didn't get any shots of the entire cabin myself, so I figured I'd include it (not to mention that it's a better photo than any of mine).


The screen porch on the other side of the cabin.


View down the mountain.


Another shot of the same.


Looking up the mountain.


In this one you can see the snowy mountain a bit better, but it's too cloudy to see the peak.


These next two photos are actually from previous New Year's trips to the cabin, but they're different from the ones I took this time and I figured I could include them for good measure. And anyway, the time stamps on all my new photos are messed up because (I have figured out) when I changed my camera's batteries, it asked me to re-enter the date, but since I couldn't see the screen, I just mashed buttons until it let me take pictures again. Apparently I set the date for February 1, 2005. Oops.

From inside the screen porch.


A snowy creek.


Ahhh, I feel much cooler now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That doesn't look big enoguh to fit 23 people to me...

Eleni said...

It's surprisingly roomy, with a large living room area and two bedrooms and the loft upstairs. But there were a number of people who had to sleep on the floor (I was one of them), and a couple people slept out on the screen porch.