Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, to those who celebrate it today. And to those who don't, well, happy workday! OK, happy Thursday, at least.

So I saw RAY J's post with a "fun Thanksgiving questionnaire" and thought I'd answer the questions too. The weather here in Hawaii is no good for getting me in the mood for Thanksgiving (it should be cold! the leaves should be gone!), so hopefully this fill-in-the-blanks questionnaire will help me feel Thanksgiving-y.

1. My Thanksgiving plans this year will include...
visiting my grandparents in their retirement home around lunchtime, since my grandmother isn't well enough to leave, then going to my great aunt and uncle's house for dinner with lots of cousins.

2. My favorite Thanksgiving was...
freshman year in college, when I brought my three unofficial roommates (I spent almost no time in my actual dorm room that year, but always hung out with these three girls in the room that belonged to two of them) home with me for Thanksgiving. I remember on the bus ride home, I taught them the names of the 16 family members of mine who would be there, and how to identify each one, so they could act like family, too (because I know I can't remember 16 new names from just one introduction).

3. My signature Thanksgiving dish is...
Well, the only thing that I can come close to calling "my" Thanksgiving dish is the pumpkin spice cookies I made last year. They were a huge hit at the party, and I was so very pleased with myself that I even did a post about the cookies.

4. My favorite Thanksgiving food is...
pumpkin pie! Also, my mom made this cranberry sauce (or relish?) dish once that had pomegranates and orange zest in it (and other yummy stuff). It was sooo good!

5. Thanksgiving free association!
pie, turkey, Thursday, family, Pilgrims

6. Thanksgiving is...
a great time to get together with family and PIG OUT without guilt!

7. I am thankful for...
my mom's pies. Oh, um, and you know, having such a loving family, and all that stuff.

The only Thanksgiving-appropriate decoration I have in my house is a small pumpkin that I bought before Halloween--I figured it could do double duty and be a nice table centerpiece for both holidays. It's pleasingly round, about the size of a large grapefruit, and had a nice smooth orange complexion. But in the past few days, it has started to get little green spots. I know it's over a month old, so I shouldn't be surprised if it isn't perfect anymore, but I have never observed pumpkins getting green spots. I always think of fruits and vegetables as starting out green, then turning other colors as they ripen, not the other way around. Oh well, it still looks nice enough, and it'll be past season by tomorrow. Such is the life of a pumpkin. I should have taken a photo of it when it was still all orange. It really was quite cute.

I hope everyone has a great day and eats a lot of good food! Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! Mmm pumpkin spice cookies!

Nathan Lurz said...

Happy Turkey Day, Eleni, hope it's a good one :)

Eleni said...

Hez - Thanks. I didn't make the cookies this year, but at least my mom made a good pumpkin pie (and a pecan pie, too).

SN - Thanks. Hope you had a good one, too, even overseas.

Sebastian Anthony said...

Not the most thrilling free association there -- more of a 'name five things associated with Thanksgiving'... :P

Happy Thanksgiving, though (and many condolences.)

We have to wait until Christmas for our dose of turkey!

Eleni said...

Sorry to disappoint :( I wasn't really sure what to put there, so I just put the first things that came to mind.

Thanks. Do you get cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie to go with your Christmas turkey? Or other random things?

Sebastian Anthony said...

We get cranberry sauce! (Or jelly, I think we might call it...)

I've never seen pumpkin pie in the UK -- actually, I have, but it was prepared by an American, and the pastry was too thick.

I've only had it a couple of times -- the first (and best) was actually in Serbia of all places. It was made with thin, filo pastry... in multiple layers... was lovely!

Eleni said...

Ooh, that does sound good with the filo pastry! My mom makes a good crust, flaky and cinnamon-y.

I guess pumpkin pie is pretty American. Like peanut butter.