Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Busy J.J., Vol. 3, DAO is sweet, Joss is sweeter

It's been a really long time since my last entertainment news post. I have a bunch of things collected, but I'm going to be brief on all of them (not that my ramblings are usually interesting, anyway). I have that application thing that I should be writing instead...

J.J. Abrams has a new series in the works, a spy action/adventure thriller. The spec script written with Josh Reims was just bought by NBC (Variety). Yay J.J.

NBC's midseason thriller Day One has had its order cut from 13 episodes to a four-hour miniseries (Variety). This isn't a totally bad thing for the makers of Day One; they can still hope to pull a Battlestar Galactica.

This is old news now (it's been soo long since my last news post), but Quentin Tarantino is planning to make a Kill Bill: Vol. 3 (Variety). Isn't Bill already (spoiler alert) dead, though? Eh, whatever, it'll probably be awesome.

I hate reality shows in general (only exception: So You Think You Can Dance). An article in Variety suggests that maybe, finally, they are on the decline. It warms my heart to hear it.

Robert Rodriguez has cast Adrien Brody to star as the alien-hunting mercenary in his reboot of the Predator franchise (Variety blog). Interesting choice. Topher Grace has also been cast in the movie, which leads me to

The Spider-Man spinoff Venom movie will be directed by Gary Ross (Variety blog). It is uncertain whether Topher Grace will be reprising his role as Venom from Spider-Man 3, since the spinoff is starting from the drawing board.

Aline Brosh McKenna (Devil Wears Prada, 27 Dresses) and Simon Kinberg (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, X-Men 3) have teamed up for a script, and their pitch was just bought by Paramount (Variety). The movie will be produced by Bad Robot with J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk. I am intrigued.

The Warcraft movie has a writer: Robert Rodat, of Saving Private Ryan fame (Variety). Sam Raimi is already signed on to direct.

20th Century Fox has just made a deal with EA to make an animated Spore movie, with Chris Wedge (Ice Age) attached to direct (Variety). Hmm.

Speaking of Spore, much like that game's pre-release promotion, EA has released a downloadable character creator module for Dragon Age Origins, the new BioWare title that will be released on November 3 (Variety blog). I. am. so. psyched. If only it weren't for this proposal/application thing.

And I already said this in a previous post, but it needs to be said again. JOSS WHEDON IS GOING TO DIRECT AN EPISODE OF GLEE (EW Ausiello Files).

2 comments:

Sebastian Anthony said...

The DAO chargen is really very nice.

13 sliders for 'nose', I believe...

Very excited for the actual release.

(And wow @ the Warcraft writer!)

Eleni said...

Just six character backgrounds, but I guess you can only put together so many origin stories.

Yeah, curious to see how that movie will shape up.