Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Estrel Berlin

The hotel I stayed at in Berlin, where our conference was held, was the Estrel Hotel. It claims to be Europe's largest convention-, entertainment-, and hotel-complex, though I haven't confirmed this fact. It certainly seemed pretty big. The lobby/atrium/restaurant area was beautiful, with glass roof and fountains and (probably mostly fake) greenery. I kept meaning to take some photos, but I never did because of course I was there for the whole week, so I could do always do it later. Ah well.

I did, however, take a couple exterior shots. Particularly of a neon light display they had in their beer garden.

First the hotel. The photo is boring except for the neon lights...


Let's take a closer look at those lights. The light for the swan's neck and head was out, so I've Photoshopped that in so you can see it more easily.


WTF? What's going on there?

Ah, Berlin!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's totally Leda and the Swan!! In Greek mythology, Zeus disguised himself as a swan to sleep with Leda, and impregnated her with two eggs, which gave birth to Helen, Clytemnestra, Castor and Polydeuces.

That is the only logical explanation. hahah.

Eleni said...

Oh my gosh, you're a genius, Hez! I didn't know that story, or that Helen and Clytemnestra were even sisters. Glad you're around :)

Sketchy Greek mythology, in classical neon lights. Brilliant.

Unknown said...

Glad I could be of service!:) How often does a classicist get to say that? hahaha.