Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's up for 2011: Movies

What movies am I looking forward to this year?

Paul
March 18
I got excited about this one when I first read about it back in summer 2009. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play two sci-fi fanatics on a road trip who happen to run into an alien, Paul, voiced by Seth Rogen. The cast includes Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Jane Lynch, and Sigourney Weaver. As I said before, this sounds like just about the perfect comedy for me.


Sucker Punch
March 25
Emily Browning plays a girl locked up in a mental institution who imagines a fantasy world in which she and some other girls there embark on a quest to free themselves. The worlds of fantasy and reality blur together. These girls kick a lot of butt, and the movie looks amazing.


Your Highness
April 8
James Franco plays a dashing prince on a quest to save his kidnapped bride (Zooey Deschanel), accompanied by his lazy brother (Danny McBride). Along the way they meet an archer maiden played by Natalie Portman. Sounds promising.

Thor
May 6
Another Marvel superhero adaptation leading up to the Avengers movie, this one stars Chris Hemsworth (the guy that made you cry--and by you, I mean at least me--at the beginning of Star Trek) as the hammer-wielding hero. Also stars Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins.


Green Lantern
June 17
DC superheroes get their own blockbuster this summer with Ryan Reynolds playing Hal Jordan as a new Green Lantern. He's a charismatic lead, but we'll have to wait to find out if the script and the rest of the movie do the character justice. Few DC heroes beyond Batman have been successful at the box office in the past decade, so here's hoping that Green Lantern can pull it off.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
July 15, 2010
We got Part 1 of the adaptation of the final book in J.K. Rowling's wildly popular series this past fall. While it was good, it left a lot of ground to cover in Part 2. The young actors have matured beautifully, and the finale will be one exciting ride.


Captain America: The First Avenger
July 22
He may be the first Avenger, but he's the last one to get his own movie before team-up movie The Avengers comes out next year. Chris Evans, who is already a Marvel hero (Human Torch), plays the titular hero, while Hugo Weaving plays villain The Red Skull. Marvel is double-teaming the summer with Thor then Captain America. Hopefully both will be amazing, but I'd settle for one awesome and one so-so.


Cowboys & Aliens
July 29
Cowboys & Aliens has the high-concept-right-in-its-title appeal that Snakes on a Plane had. But it looks way cooler (in my opinion). Starring Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, and Harrison Ford, and directed by Jon Favreau, it's basically about what the title promises: What would happen if aliens invaded the wild west? I can't wait to find out.


Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
December 16
J.J. Abrams stays on as a producer in another Mission: Impossible, but this one stars Josh Holloway and is directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles). It's an exciting formula, so hopefully it'll turn out great. It's about time we start seeing Josh Holloway starring on the big screen.

Sherlock Holmes 2
December 16
I really love watching Robert Downey Jr., and Holmes, like Tony Stark, is a great role for him. He and Jude Law return as Holmes and Watson to take on Professor Moriarty in this sequel. I hope it won't follow Iron Man 2 in being disappointing compared to its predecessor.

See io9's more exhaustive list here:
http://io9.com/5723075/55-science-fictionfantasy-movies-to-watch-out-for-in-2011

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I want to see all those movies I can't wait. I'll add Priest and Jane Eyre to my list =D

Eleni said...

I hadn't heard they're doing a Jane Eyre movie! Must investigate this...

Javier Briseño said...

I don't go too much to the movies or download them, just expect them to be available on TV to change channel if it bore me. XD

But I will go to see SuckerPunch, it's my kind of movie with a fantasy background, lots of action, good photography and sexy girls.

Unknown said...

I really like that people are combining sci-fi/fantasy with comedy recently!

There's also one coming up about Theseus, called The Immortals. Much like Clash of the Titans, any semblance to actual mythology is purely coincidental. But it looks fun. hehe.

Eleni said...

Javier - Sucker Punch is in a way the female answer to 300 (both are directed by Zack Snyder, of course): tons of action, distinctive cinematography, stylized set design, but this time with sexy, scantily clad girls instead of sexy, (even more) scantily clad men. Strangely, I suspect the audience will still skew heavily male as it did for 300.

Hez - I know! We sci-fi/fantasy fans like to laugh, too. Cool--a movie about Theseus (I can't see you write that without thinking about your "Theseus" :). Hopefully The Immortals will be better received than Clash of the Titans was.

Anonymous said...

I am totally excited for all of those except the HP one. Never really been a fan of HP.

Saw the preview for Sucker Punch when the bf and I went to see the Tourist. I am TOTALLY excited for that one. It just looks completely epic.

Eleni said...

I really hope it's as great as the preview looks. Zack Snyder's Watchmen didn't quite live up to the promise of its kick-ass trailer.

Eleni said...

(And by "it" I mean Sucker Punch, not HP, hence the comparison to the Watchmen trailer...)