Monday, July 6, 2009

Glaciers!

I realized that in my post yesterday (journal entries about my Alaska cruise) I didn't actually include any photos from Glacier Bay (the one I put under the Glacier Bay journal entry was in Tracy Arm...), or even any photos of glaciers! This must be remedied.

Unfortunately, I don't have that many good photos from Alaska. I had just been given my first real camera as an early birthday present, so I hadn't quite figured out the tricks of how to use it--and by that I mean a surprising number came out blurred or out of focus. I didn't have a very big memory card, and it was a long trip without an opportunity to upload photos, so I didn't get to take as much of a selection of photos as I would have liked. I also don't have much of a knack for composition, though sometimes I get lucky. Anyway, here are a few more photos from my Alaska cruise--this time, with glaciers!

Mendenhall Glacier, outside of Juneau



A different view of Mendenhall Glacier, with people

The color of the water in glacial pools is fascinating

Looking away from Mendenhall Glacier


Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay

That's one thing you don't always realize about glaciers: most of them are really dirty. This is actually very clean compared to the Great Pacific Glacier, which we also saw in Glacier Bay (but I didn't get a good picture, sadly).

Mist around Glacier Bay

As far as glacier-viewing goes, it would have been nice if the weather had been a bit clearer, but the clouds did look pretty cool.

I'll also repeat my two favorite photos from yesterday's post, so I can comment on them:

Looking west toward Vancouver Island after setting sail

I just love the calm, glassy water in this one.

A glacial valley seen from Tracy Arm

That's what they teach you in science class: glaciers carve U-shaped valleys. I love the color of the water in this fjord.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Breathtaking.

Eleni said...

Much better in person :-)

Sebastian Anthony said...

Sadly there are no glaciers in the Faroe Islands... I'd have to go just a bit further north -- damn!

Maybe next time. I've been invited to Iceland...

Eleni said...

Another WoW friend? Iceland sounds like a great trip. But you did say that the Faroe Islands are supposed to be the most beautiful place in the world or something, right? Can't complain.

Glaciers are awesome. You'll have to make that Arctic trip at some point. I actually just came from a talk by an Arctic oceanographer. Had lots of nice icy pictures.

Michelle Schraudner said...

Just found you via 20sb. These photos are gorgeous! My boyfriend and I have been wanting to visit Alaska!

Eleni said...

Thanks! Yes, I remember seeing you around 20sb. You should definitely try to visit Alaska. I highly recommend it! And there are more affordable options than a cruise (we were very lucky that our grandparents bought us all tickets).