Monday, July 26, 2010

Playing with the new camera: Snorkeling at Hanauma

I finally got out snorkeling with my new camera in Hanauma Bay. I'd been there before with the Housemate's underwater camera, of course, but I was excited to see how my camera would hold up. Perhaps the most notable thing that my camera does that his doesn't is it takes HD video, so I was definitely interested in seeing how that would come out.

I went to Hanauma with my parents, who were both here visiting from the East Coast (my dad has since gone home, my mom is still around), and went snorkeling with my dad. My dad is the one who really loves snorkeling, though when my mom went out for a short bit after I got back, she was surprised at how much she enjoyed it. So some of the photos might have been taken by my dad, but I kind of think these ones are all mine.

We were swimming in an area of the bay that I haven't gone yet with the Housemate. In general, there were more fish in this area but they were harder to get at (faster, and over shallower reef), the waves were choppier, and the water was cloudier. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) there were no fish attacks this time.

A view of the bay

For a panoramic of the bay that shows its distinctive circular shape, see my first post on Hanauma.

This was some sort of butterflyfish (my best guess) that I hadn't seen before. It was rather elusive, but I managed to get this shot of it from above.


Convict tangs


A pretty fish with a distinctive white spot, probably also a butterflyfish of some sort. This one I stalked for a while before getting a clear shot of it, though the water itself isn't very clear.


A convict tang hanging with some sort of purple tang, I think


Say "bubbles"!


Not sure what kind of fish this is, but it has both spots and stripes. There's also a fish of interesting colors in front of it, and a humuhumunukunukuapua'a hiding in the background on the right.


A starry-eyed parrotfish. The water's a bit cloudy, but I thought the fish was pretty cool. Are those chapped lips, or does it have some nasty little teeth out there?


So no great shots like the one I got of the feisty humuhumu last time. But it wasn't a bad first snorkeling outing with the new camera. I know there will be more to come.

HD underwater video with the new camera coming up on Wednesday.

No comments: